Much Ado About Everything
An essay by Caitlin McCarthy will appear in the anthology "Soap Opera Confidential," now available for pre-order on Amazon. Click HERE to order your copy today.
Click HERE to read the article.
Coming in May 2017. Stay tuned for book tour details!
Caitlin McCarthy's essay “A Soapy Life” will be published in "SOAP OPERA CONFIDENTIAL: Writers and Soap Insiders on Why We'll Tune In Tomorrow, As the World Turns Restlessly by the Guiding Light of our Lives," edited by Elizabeth Searle and Suzanne Stempek Shea (McFarland & Company, May 2017).
2016 was quite a year for my writing. Biggest event was landing my manager Barry Krost: www.tracking-board.com/launch-pad-alum-caitlin-mccarthy-signs-with-barry-krost-management-exclusive/
Other special moments include:
* January: My unproduced TV pilot "Free Skate" was named "One To Watch" by the 2016 WriteHer List: http://deadline.com/2016/02/weforshe-2016-writeher-television-script-list-women-1201696963/
* February: I was a speaker at the TV Writers Symposium 2016, held in association with the Woods Hole Film Festival and Woods Hole Inn, and hosted by TV drama veteran P.K. Simonds (former executive producer of "The Ghost Whisperer" and "Party of Five"): www.woodsholefilmfestival.org/woodsholefilmfestivalarchives/festival-2013/workshops/tv-writers-symposium-2016/
* May: The Guardian used one of my quotes as the headline in an article about women in film and sexism, and featured my photo and additional comments within the article: www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/14/those-in-power-are-fully-aware-of-the-sexism-readers-on-working-in-film
* June: “Pass/Fail,” an original TV pilot that I co-wrote with Jim Forbes, made the finals in Universal Cable Productions' first Pitch Fest. The Deadline article references me ("educator") and Jim ("working journalist") towards the end: http://deadline.com/2016/06/universal-cable-productions-pitch-fest-winner-1201775821/
* July: I was named the Red Sox Most Valuable Educator for July 9. I was recognized for my teaching, screenwriting, and DES activism on the field at Fenway Park during the pre-game ceremony: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHRGHvjWE1w
* September: My minute and a half with Oliver Stone! Fast forward to 27:00 to watch it. (Ends around 28:52.) www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rC0qpLGciU
Also in September, a clip from my video entry to co-host "LIVE with Kelly" with Kelly Ripa: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxv7xZh7CY
* November: “Free Skate” was named one of the “Top 100 Pilots of 2016” by The Tracking Board (scroll to page 15): www.tracking-board.com/vote/LaunchPadAlumniBooklet2016.pdf
Excerpt: "What 'Black Swan' did for ballet, and 'Empire' did for music, this pilot does beautifully for figure skating. Smart, relatable, complex, and oozing with drama, this is the kind of soapy new series that captures an audience and never lets go. With a uniquely fascinating setting, and some of the most richly drawn characters we’ve ever seen, this peek behind the curtain of one of the most prestigious sports in the world offers viewers a glimpse at a world that’s far more provocative than they could ever imagine."
* December: "The Top 100 Indie Writers In the World Part I" is getting a Christmas Release on iTunes -- and it will include yours truly as #10. Stay tuned for details on how to order your copy.
As for 2017, WONDER DRUG is poised to move into pre-production.
Also, my essay “A Soapy Life” will be published in "SOAP OPERA CONFIDENTIAL: Writers and Soap Insiders on Why We'll Tune In Tomorrow, As the World Turns Restlessly by the Guiding Light of our Lives," edited by Elizabeth Searle and Suzanne Stempek Shea (McFarland & Company, March 2017).
Thank you for your support. Wishing everyone a happy holiday season and new year! -- Caitlin
"The Top 100 Indie Writers In the World Part I" is getting a Christmas Release on iTunes -- and it will include Caitlin McCarthy as #10. Stay tuned for details on how to order your copy.
FREE SKATE was named one of the Top 100 Pilots of 2016 by The Tracking Board. View it HERE (scroll to pg. 15).
The following is what The Tracking Board said about FREE SKATE: "What 'Black Swan' did for ballet, and 'Empire' did for music, this pilot does beautifully for figure skating. Smart, relatable, complex, and oozing with drama, this is the kind of soapy new series that captures an audience and never lets go. With a uniquely fascinating setting, and some of the most richly drawn characters we’ve ever seen, this peek behind the curtain of one of the most prestigious sports in the world offers viewers a glimpse at a world that’s far more provocative than they could ever imagine."
The Tracking Board wrote an article announcing Caitlin McCarthy's signing with Barry Krost Management. Click HERE to read the full article.
Two of Caitlin McCarthy's scripts made the Quarterfinals in the prestigious Final Draft Big Break Competition:
* Hour Spec: Madam Secretary: “The Personal is Political”
* Hour Pilot: “Free Skate”
In the past, Caitlin has done well in this contest: her hour pilot “Pass/Fail” made the Top Ten; her spec for “Elementary” made the Top Ten; and her spec for “The Good Wife” was a semifinalist.
Semifinalists will be announced in October. Click HERE to learn more.
Director Oliver Stone joined Ron Suskind, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, for a conversation about his upcoming film "Snowden" at the Harvard Institute of Politics. In a both informative and entertaining Forum, Stone explained the artistic process and difficulties of translating the controversial story of Edward Snowden into a film.
While answering questions from the audience, Stone touched on his work in prior films, his motivation in telling political stories through cinema, and his views on the state of America’s government surveillance programs.
Fast forward to 27:00 HERE to watch Caitlin McCarthy ask Oliver Stone a question. (Her moment with him ends around 28:52.)
Caitlin McCarthy will be featured in the upcoming 2016 Young & Hungry List, which will be released by The Tracking Board on Monday, October 3, 2016. According to The Tracking Board: "The Young & Hungry List (is) comprised of the 100 best up-and-coming writers in the business, as voted on by industry professionals." Learn more HERE.
Barry Krost of Barry Krost Management (BKM) is now managing Caitlin McCarthy.
Krost is well known in the entertainment industry, both as a literary agent and producer. He has been involved in the careers of some of the entertainment industry's leading talents, including Cat Stevens, Angela Lansbury, Richard Gere, Liza Minnelli, Peter Finch, Joan Collins, Elizabeth Montgomery, Jackie Collins, Michael Scott, Stuart Ross, John Osborne, and Lynn Mamet.
Caitlin McCarthy has been invited to participate in the 2016 New York Television Festival (NYTVF) as an Official Artist. The invitation is part of the NYTVF+ Alumni Program. Caitlin’s TV pilot “Pass/Fail” (co-written with Jim Forbes) was previously a finalist in the NYTVF’s “Voice and Vision: The NBC Drama Challenge.” Click HERE to learn more.
The script information for FREE SKATE will be featured in The Tracking Board's 2016 Spec Book, Hit List, Young & Hungry List, and Launch Pad Alum booklets.
FREE SKATE by Caitlin McCarthy is highlighted as part of The Tracking Board's Launch Pad Pilots Competition's Top 5%. Click HERE to read the announcement.