Much Ado About Everything
Caitlin McCarthy's screenplay WONDER DRUG has advanced to the Quarterfinal Round of the 2017 Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting. By doing so, WONDER DRUG is one of only 361 entries to emerge from the First Round (with 7,102 scripts entered). Learn more about the Nicholl Fellowship HERE.
Caitlin McCarthy is returning to the New York Television Festival (NYTVF) as an Official Artist this October. Her pilot "Pass/Fail" was a previous Finalist in the NYTVF's "Voice and Vision: The NBC Drama Challenge." To learn more about the NYTVF, click HERE.
Caitlin McCarthy wrote an essay that appears in the anthology "Soap Opera Confidential," which is getting a shout-out in the latest issue of CBS Soaps In Depth magazine (with "Sexy Spring Spoilers" on cover).
Pick up a copy of CBS Soaps in Depth magazine at your local supermarket -- and order "Soap Opera Confidential" at Amazon today.
This award recognizes an alumna/us who has dedicated and demonstrated service to her/his community and who has distinguished herself/himself by improving the quality of life for others.
As of April 14, 2017, the Amazon sales numbers for Soap Opera Confidential have it in the Top 150 books on Amazon in three different categories! Caitlin McCarthy's essay "A Soapy Life" appears in this book. Have you ordered your copy yet? Click HERE to order.
Caitlin McCarthy wrote an essay about the legendary Ralph's Rock Diner for the Worcester Historical Museum. Her essay and Ralph's photo shoot by
Pure Style Photography are going to be part of the museum's featured exhibit.
A party celebrating this new exhibit, along with the 140th anniversary of the Worcester Historical Museum, will take place on Wednesday, April 19 at 5:30 p.m. Details are below.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
5:30 PM-7:30 PM
Our history. Our future.
Toast the 140th anniversary of the incorporation of Worcester Historical Museum as the keepers of our shared past. Look to the future of the past in the exhibition "5O Objects of Worcester History."
Cash bar; hors d'oeuvres. Reservations: 508.753.8278
Cost: Be our guest!
An essay by Caitlin McCarthy will appear in the anthology "Soap Opera Confidential," now available for pre-order on Amazon. Click HERE to order your copy today.
Click HERE to read the article.
Coming in May 2017. Stay tuned for book tour details!
Caitlin McCarthy's essay “A Soapy Life” will be published in "SOAP OPERA CONFIDENTIAL: Writers and Soap Insiders on Why We'll Tune In Tomorrow, As the World Turns Restlessly by the Guiding Light of our Lives," edited by Elizabeth Searle and Suzanne Stempek Shea (McFarland & Company, May 2017).
2016 was quite a year for my writing. Biggest event was landing my manager Barry Krost: www.tracking-board.com/launch-pad-alum-caitlin-mccarthy-signs-with-barry-krost-management-exclusive/
Other special moments include:
* January: My unproduced TV pilot "Free Skate" was named "One To Watch" by the 2016 WriteHer List: http://deadline.com/2016/02/weforshe-2016-writeher-television-script-list-women-1201696963/
* February: I was a speaker at the TV Writers Symposium 2016, held in association with the Woods Hole Film Festival and Woods Hole Inn, and hosted by TV drama veteran P.K. Simonds (former executive producer of "The Ghost Whisperer" and "Party of Five"): www.woodsholefilmfestival.org/woodsholefilmfestivalarchives/festival-2013/workshops/tv-writers-symposium-2016/
* May: The Guardian used one of my quotes as the headline in an article about women in film and sexism, and featured my photo and additional comments within the article: www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/14/those-in-power-are-fully-aware-of-the-sexism-readers-on-working-in-film
* June: “Pass/Fail,” an original TV pilot that I co-wrote with Jim Forbes, made the finals in Universal Cable Productions' first Pitch Fest. The Deadline article references me ("educator") and Jim ("working journalist") towards the end: http://deadline.com/2016/06/universal-cable-productions-pitch-fest-winner-1201775821/
* July: I was named the Red Sox Most Valuable Educator for July 9. I was recognized for my teaching, screenwriting, and DES activism on the field at Fenway Park during the pre-game ceremony: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHRGHvjWE1w
* September: My minute and a half with Oliver Stone! Fast forward to 27:00 to watch it. (Ends around 28:52.) www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rC0qpLGciU
Also in September, a clip from my video entry to co-host "LIVE with Kelly" with Kelly Ripa: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxv7xZh7CY
* November: “Free Skate” was named one of the “Top 100 Pilots of 2016” by The Tracking Board (scroll to page 15): www.tracking-board.com/vote/LaunchPadAlumniBooklet2016.pdf
Excerpt: "What 'Black Swan' did for ballet, and 'Empire' did for music, this pilot does beautifully for figure skating. Smart, relatable, complex, and oozing with drama, this is the kind of soapy new series that captures an audience and never lets go. With a uniquely fascinating setting, and some of the most richly drawn characters we’ve ever seen, this peek behind the curtain of one of the most prestigious sports in the world offers viewers a glimpse at a world that’s far more provocative than they could ever imagine."
* December: "The Top 100 Indie Writers In the World Part I" is getting a Christmas Release on iTunes -- and it will include yours truly as #10. Stay tuned for details on how to order your copy.
As for 2017, WONDER DRUG is poised to move into pre-production.
Also, my essay “A Soapy Life” will be published in "SOAP OPERA CONFIDENTIAL: Writers and Soap Insiders on Why We'll Tune In Tomorrow, As the World Turns Restlessly by the Guiding Light of our Lives," edited by Elizabeth Searle and Suzanne Stempek Shea (McFarland & Company, March 2017).
Thank you for your support. Wishing everyone a happy holiday season and new year! -- Caitlin
"The Top 100 Indie Writers In the World Part I" is getting a Christmas Release on iTunes -- and it will include Caitlin McCarthy as #10. Stay tuned for details on how to order your copy.
FREE SKATE was named one of the Top 100 Pilots of 2016 by The Tracking Board. View it HERE (scroll to pg. 15).
The following is what The Tracking Board said about FREE SKATE: "What 'Black Swan' did for ballet, and 'Empire' did for music, this pilot does beautifully for figure skating. Smart, relatable, complex, and oozing with drama, this is the kind of soapy new series that captures an audience and never lets go. With a uniquely fascinating setting, and some of the most richly drawn characters we’ve ever seen, this peek behind the curtain of one of the most prestigious sports in the world offers viewers a glimpse at a world that’s far more provocative than they could ever imagine."
The Tracking Board wrote an article announcing Caitlin McCarthy's signing with Barry Krost Management. Click HERE to read the full article.
Two of Caitlin McCarthy's scripts made the Quarterfinals in the prestigious Final Draft Big Break Competition:
* Hour Spec: Madam Secretary: “The Personal is Political”
* Hour Pilot: “Free Skate”
In the past, Caitlin has done well in this contest: her hour pilot “Pass/Fail” made the Top Ten; her spec for “Elementary” made the Top Ten; and her spec for “The Good Wife” was a semifinalist.
Semifinalists will be announced in October. Click HERE to learn more.
Director Oliver Stone joined Ron Suskind, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, for a conversation about his upcoming film "Snowden" at the Harvard Institute of Politics. In a both informative and entertaining Forum, Stone explained the artistic process and difficulties of translating the controversial story of Edward Snowden into a film.
While answering questions from the audience, Stone touched on his work in prior films, his motivation in telling political stories through cinema, and his views on the state of America’s government surveillance programs.
Fast forward to 27:00 HERE to watch Caitlin McCarthy ask Oliver Stone a question. (Her moment with him ends around 28:52.)
Caitlin McCarthy will be featured in the upcoming 2016 Young & Hungry List, which will be released by The Tracking Board on Monday, October 3, 2016. According to The Tracking Board: "The Young & Hungry List (is) comprised of the 100 best up-and-coming writers in the business, as voted on by industry professionals." Learn more HERE.